forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deploy 2 different site with 1 Forrest pub
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:22:22 GMT
Lorenz Froihofer wrote:

>>> I will have a look! Do you see any chance that we can use that in
>>> forrest as well?  ...or are the tweaks major?
>>

>> My intention is to create this as a kind of skin/plug-in for Forrest.
>> We have discussed this on list in the past and since there is
>> considerable functionality that we require for Learning Objects that
>> as nothing to do with most Forrest generated sites I feel that a
>> skin/plug-in approach is best.
>

> I do not know much about the skin/plug-in approach. Is it possible in
> this case to have more than one site.xml and tabs.xml per site?

We did talk about putting this kind of functionality into Forrest itself
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107652065930310&w=2).
In that thread we came to a solution we thought would work (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107657256318416&w=2 for an
overview).

The solution we have implemented for our project is like the subsite
mounting solution discussed above, only we use an source format (IMS
Manifest for Content Packaging, see
http://www.imsglobal.org/content/packaging/cpinfo10.html) to define the
"subsites" and how they are pulled together into  single site.xml. This
is done using an additional XSL translation.

Our implementation is still incomplete, but it works to an extent. I am
ken to propose this as a part of Forrest. Possibly not using IMS
Manifests, although I think thy make a very healthy (optional)
replacement for site.xml and tabs.xml. I will make a proposal that
describes the behaviour fully (some day I will find the time).

Ross