forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: release candidate
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:55:18 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> Do we want to have a forrest-0.6-RC1?  Do we want to release it now?
>

> I think that we should squat all the known assigned bugs [1] before
> releasing.
> Actually, I wouldn't be doing a RC, as we are still using a 0.x
> numbering, and things are not *that* stable.

I'm fine with that.

>> I think if we're going to have one we should do it now because we're
>> getting pretty close.  If we give the RC a couple weeks for people to
>> test, we should be able to close up any remaining bugs.
>

> We can fix the bugs we know we have, release, and then fix the bugs that
> come out.
>
> Here is how we could do:
>
>                                    -branchs for 0.7 features---|-|-|\
> (trunk) -->fix bugs-->release0.6--/------------>release0.6.1---|-|-|--->
>

> That means using the trunk as the current stable forrest, as we have
> said before. We fix the bugs for 0.6 [1], then release and fix the bugs
> that will come, on the trunk.
>
> In the meantime, we branch for the extra features that will go in 0.7.
> In two weeks we do a 0.6.1 with the fixes, and then can start merging
> the working features into the trunk.

I think it's better to keep the trunk for mainline development.  I know
people will accidentally forget what branch to commit to otherwise :-)
And more importantly if the branch was for 0.6 fixes then the changes
would be much smaller and easier to merge back in.

Unrelated to versions, we still should branch for major feature
additions (i.e. ones that will take some time to work out) like xhtml2,
skinconfig, raw v. process, locationmap... woo! a lot of work ahead of
us :-).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming