forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project sitemap mount and copyless
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:58:47 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Currently we have reverted the copyless behaviour mainly because the
> >>sitemaps in the project were not used by Forrest.
> >>
> >>To finish off copyless, I have put in place a conditional mount: Forrest
> >>mounts the user sitemap before anything else if it's present.
>
> ... and it does not work like we want it to, as the mounted sitemap
> blocks subsequent access to the base sitemap if it does not match.
>
> I'll fix it by making a conditional check for every mount we do, and
> this should fix it for the time being, but we really should think about
> what we want to keep as a contract for sitemap extensibility for 0.7.
>
> My impression is that we should only need to give users the possibility
> of using a sitemap to generate extra source documents using Cocoon, and
> nothing more.

The cases where i have needed to use project sitemaps:

* Some source docs which use full DocBook and render them
with the complete DocBook XSL, e.g. Apache Xml Commons.
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/
See the "Article".

* Where we have other complex tables that we need to be
integrated into a Forrest-built site.
http://www.indexgeo.net/zalarm/

* The scenario described in the "Using Forrest" doc.
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap

All of these have been achieved by adding our own project
sitemap and our own stylesheets.

I gather that is the sort of thing we intend to continue to
facilitate.

> Any other customization would be something that touches
> Forrest itself and should be done by actually changing Forrest.

What other thing can you imagine that people might need?

--
David Crossley