forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@onnadayr.ca>
Subject Re: [dtd] Wondering about the document v20a
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:26:39 GMT
On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 14:47, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> What about doing this for 2.0 from 2.0a:
>
>        * add back <link>, so that both link tags can be used
>        * check that the old ol/ul stuff still works
>
> And faq-v20 differences:
>
>        * put back <faqsection> alongside <part>
>        * make @title usable again
>
> This would make 2.0 be our last document-DTD format that is compatible
> with both the previous 2 alpha and the last 1.x format.
>
> If this seems too messy, I'd be equally happy to just use 1.3 and start
> getting the real xhtml tags fron the real xhtml2 in subsequent releases.
>
> WDOT?

Okay, I've been thinking about this a little more.  Sorry it's taken so
long to reply.  Just trying to get this down to a couple of simple
options.

Whatever is decided, I'll work on getting it done for a 0.6 release.

A v20 with forward-incompatible changes
=======================================

If we move forward with a v20 with forward-incompatible changes, it may
be that we move forward again with incompatible changes when we move to
XHTML2, depending on compatability issues of v20 with XHTML2.

Granted, as Jeff T. pointed out, the forward-incompatible changes
between v13 and v20 are pretty simple:

      * Change the DOCTYPE declaration
      * s/<(link|jump|fork)/<a/g

We would also need to decide what the howto-v20, change-v20 and todo-v20
are going to look like.

Any changes to them (other than importing the document-v20.mod)?  These
three are not currently defined in the v20a/ directory.

A v20 with forward-compatible changes

Simple question.  What do we gain by this over using v13?

Go with v13 and v20 becomes a move to XHTML2

I'm not quite sure what the intent is with XHTML2.  Is it a replacement
for document-v* and the other DTDs, (such as howto, faq and changes)
will be transformed to XHTML2?

The only things in v20a/ are document-v20 and faq-v20 (the others
haven't been defined as yet).

--
Rick Tessner <rick@onnadayr.ca>