forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject DTD version names (Was: svn commit: rev 21092)
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:13:37 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Dave Brondsema escribió:
> > Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> >>
> >> why do we need to add a new DTD for each change?
> >
> > A DTD should never change.  Of course with new required elements we
> > would need a new DTD so we don't break end-user's validations suddenly.
> >  However even for small changes even for developers we should do this
> > because it's simpler to have this policy instead of deciding for each
> > change whether it merits a new DTD or not.
> >
> > And users (including us devs) don't need to keep changing their DTD
> > references.  You can stay at -v06-1 (probably -v06 too) with no problem.
>
> Well, I would use this only for DTD that we have already release in any
> version. we have not release a skinconf.dtd yet. So this seems a bit
> overheat.

I think that we do need to have a new version for each change,
especially changes that are not optional. Whenever a change
goes into SVN, it is essentially a new release, just is not an
officially packaged release.

We have had these discussions and decisions in the past.
Someone might need to dig that out of the archives.

--David