forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject DTD version names (Was: svn commit: rev 21092)
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:13:37 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Dave Brondsema escribió:
> > Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> >>
> >> why do we need to add a new DTD for each change?
> >
> > A DTD should never change.  Of course with new required elements we
> > would need a new DTD so we don't break end-user's validations suddenly.
> >  However even for small changes even for developers we should do this
> > because it's simpler to have this policy instead of deciding for each
> > change whether it merits a new DTD or not.
> >
> > And users (including us devs) don't need to keep changing their DTD
> > references.  You can stay at -v06-1 (probably -v06 too) with no problem.
> Well, I would use this only for DTD that we have already release in any
> version. we have not release a skinconf.dtd yet. So this seems a bit
> overheat.

I think that we do need to have a new version for each change,
especially changes that are not optional. Whenever a change
goes into SVN, it is essentially a new release, just is not an
officially packaged release.

We have had these discussions and decisions in the past.
Someone might need to dig that out of the archives.

View raw message