forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Skin names and skin cleaning
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:41:02 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>Our current actively  supported skins are forrest-site, krysalis-site
> >>and tigris-style.

What happened to forrest-css? I think that i get deja vu
on that question, but cannot remember the answers.

> >>I would like to change these names to make them indipendent of the sites
> >>that use them. In particular, I want to switch Forrest into using the
> >>krysalis skin with it's usual colors, as it's a bit better underneath
> >>because of the greater use of CSS and colorability.

If better CSS and more lightweight, then i am all for it.

> >>This would leave us with two skins: tigris-style and krysalis-site...
> >>but it's at least wierd that forrest uses a krysalis skin. Overmore we
> >>may want to change soon.
> >
> > What's wrong with forrest-site?  I think we should keep it around.  I
> > agree krysalis looks better, but forrest-site works fine and is becoming
> > pretty standard around apache.org... which leads to another [RT]: Is there
> > any desire to have a common look and feel to all (or most) apache.org
> > sites?

We probably need to take the approach:
"build it and they might come".

Every project needs to be able to do their own thing.
When we provide efficient, easily configured skins and
fast production, then we might see various projects just
adopt it and some consistency is gained.

It will not happen top-down - Apache doesn't work that way.

> krysalis-site is a fork of forrest-site. I have taken all the issues I
> had heard of in forrest-site (corner images in the html,
> non-skin-colored corners, too big fonts, no javascript menus, etc etc)
> and made krysalis-site.

That is good to hear, and makes me more confident.
I do get frightened when i hear people use the word
"switch" - that sound of bathwater being thrown out.

Did the krysalis-site skin get all the recent changes
that forrest-site received, i.e. remove use of document()
function? ... it might never have been used, i am just
trying to think of the pitfalls of changing skins.

> >>So, what about simply supporting two skins for now, and giving them new
> >>names? (suggestions welcome)
> >
> > I am horrible at naming... :-)
>
> Oh, no, then we have a problem, I'm so too! B-)

Here is a good name ... "default".

--David