forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian S. Hayes" <brian.hay...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Forrest Signature in HTML source
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:34:37 GMT
> I added the following tags:
>
> IMO the version-tag of Forrest is a story for its own. That should be
> automatic where else the other tag do not have to be. I thing something
> like <meta name="Forrest-version" content="{version}"/> would be great.
> The {version}-parameter should be resolved by forrest so you won't have
> to touch it if you use e.g. the SVN-Head. Dunno right now how to do it
> but WDYT? Brian do you have any ideas on that?

I'm not familiar enough with Forrest (or Coccon) to know how to get the SVN
version.  I know that SVN has a number of keywords that can be substituted
with appropriate values on file check out; but, in my very brief research, I
did not see one that tells you the head revision number.  We should research
this further before we look into alternative approaches (for packaged
releases version numbers, build numbers, etc., can simply be put into
appropriate files by hand or by script).

As far as what names we use, I am not sure that Forrest-version is good or
not.  From a 1997 census (http://vancouver-webpages.com/META/bycount.shtml)
I see the following names that might be applicable: generator, formatter,
build, and version.  If we want to reduce the chance of un-intended
overwriting, by skin author's/hackers, of Forrest information, then
prefixing some of the Forrest related meta data is a good idea (like
"Forrest-version").

Random thought: we might want to research the inclusion of some RDF such as
the Dublin Core.