forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrestbot webapp dist
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 07:09:02 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> The forrestbot webapp binary (a WAR file) is built by maven, must be
> configured specifically for any server it will run on, probably won't be
> used by many people, and is about 3.5 MB.  How should we distribute it?
>
> 1) As part of the forrest distributable.  build.xml's release-dist would
> execute 'maven', requiring everyone who does that to have maven installed.

+0

> 2) Seperately.  In this case we would have to add legal docs, readme, etc.

-1 I really would like we keep all together at least till 1.0.

> 3) Only in source form.  Building it is easy (install maven; execute
> 'maven' in the webapp dir).
>
> I prefer #3 because it is the easiest :-)

It seems the most sensible to me too.

What about this:

4) we add an Ant target that works for making the webapp

Note, I'm not asking you to remove the Maven stuff, but I think that if
we have a way of building it with Ant it can be easier for the users
since we already have Ant in Forrest.

Can't Maven generate an ant build.xml file to do this? It could before
IIRC...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -