forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quarterly Report
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 22:47:53 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Thanks, that helped a lot.
>
> My biggest concern would be the direct responsibility for legal issues.
> Obviously we know our code best so our own PMC would be well suited from
> that perspective.  But we're not lawyers.  Even licensing questions can
> get very confusing.  So I don't know how qualified any of us would be to
> be responsible from that perspective.

We are responsible does not mean that we cannot ask for help to the
licensing@apache.org list. What we have to ensure is that the Apache
rules about licensing are always met, we don't have to invent new ones.

> How does voting work?  Currently (IIUC) only forrest committer's votes
> count (non-committers are of course welcome and good to hear..)  Does this
> stay the same, or does only the PMC get to vote?

The procedures are to be decided by the PMC, ie us. Since committers
would become PMC members, and since only PMC members AFAIK (IANAL) can
make actually binding votes for the project, the easiest thing to do
is... to keep it like now, only changing "committer" to "PMC member".

Having committers that are not PMC members would be a new thing to do,
and we will have to discuss if/how to do it.

In any case, I would like to remind you and all the others that there is
no guarantee that the board will accept our request, although I
personally remain confident.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -