forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DEVOTE] Solving the skinconf riddle
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 12:29:54 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Each skin would have the complete version instead, with the
>><!--@required--> tag stuff or the required="" attribute, from which
>>Forrest would dynamically create the skinconf.xsl file that is now done
>>"by hand".
>>
>>Given that this file would be made by skin authors and that it's better
>>to keep a single schema for skinconfs maybe it's better to use the <!--@
>>annotations for this file instance.
>

> I too am confused as to how it hangs together. Is this it? ...
>
> Each skin has a skinconf.xml (or is that skindef.xml) which is
> managed by the skin creator people, not the users. It has the
> documentation comments and the "@required" comments and has
> all possible features.

Correct.

> There is a build task that generates certain files from that:
> * skinconf.xsl which injects default values

This is to be done in the sitemap IMHO, no build-time stuff.

> * skinconf-vXY.rng which enables validation of users' skinconf.xml

Correct. Validation is a build-time task, so it there is no issue in
having it generated at that point.

> * skinconf.xml which is an example file for users to apply
> to their project skinconf.xml if they need to over-ride or
> disable certain features.

Hmmm, I was thinking instead of including a page in the Forrest docs
with the documentation and an example version for cut-and-paste.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -