forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: International apache branches
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 07:47:55 GMT
On 11 May 2004, at 01:16, Scherler, Thorsten wrote:

> I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
> There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
> spanish.
>
> Does anybody knows what the ASF policy for international branches is
> (Greg as chairman)?

I'm not sure whether there is a policy for "international branches", as
I don't understand the concept per se.

If you just mean a Spanish language version of the Lenya website (i.e.
providing Spanish translation), or having language-specific mailing
lists, all this has been done before, and is just a matter of asking to
the infrastructure team. The incubating Spamassassin project has German
mailing lists, for example.

The important thing here is oversight: making sure the PMC is able to
follow what is going on.

> Can it be a direct spin-off of e.g. lenya (like e.g.
> http://www.xaraya.com/ and http://es.xaraya.com/)?

Again, I wouldn't call this a "spin-off", as this presumably shouldn't
be a fork or some area where development and community focus diverges
from the original (English) one. It's just a matter of translation, and
providing language-specific discussion lists, no?

> Could it be then hosted like http://es.cocoon.apache.org/lenya/ or
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/es/?

I don't see any problem with having a Lenya committer posting Spanish
pages in the Lenya webspace.

Just make sure you don't disperse an already small community into two
smaller ones.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org