forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: International apache branches
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 15:00:09 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 11 May 2004, at 01:16, Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
>
>> I am thinking about to open up a cocoon/-lenya site in Spain.
>> There is a growing community and the majority wants to communicate in
>> spanish.
>>
>> Does anybody knows what the ASF policy for international branches is
>> (Greg as chairman)?
>

> I'm not sure whether there is a policy for "international branches",
> as I don't understand the concept per se.
>
> If you just mean a Spanish language version of the Lenya website (i.e.
> providing Spanish translation), or having language-specific mailing
> lists, all this has been done before, and is just a matter of asking
> to the infrastructure team. The incubating Spamassassin project has
> German mailing lists, for example.

Awesome, didn't know! Yes that is what I was planing to do! I mean a
spanish USER-list and a spanish translation of the page.

I will contact infrastructure ASAP.

> The important thing here is oversight: making sure the PMC is able to
> follow what is going on.

That would be you, right ;-)?
Do you would like a monthly report or something similar?
I will write down my ideas and will send them to you directly.

>> Can it be a direct spin-off of e.g. lenya (like e.g.
>> http://www.xaraya.com/ and http://es.xaraya.com/)?
>

> Again, I wouldn't call this a "spin-off", as this presumably shouldn't
> be a fork or some area where development and community focus diverges
> from the original (English) one. It's just a matter of translation,
> and providing language-specific discussion lists, no?

Jupp, exactly. I do not want to diverge from the original. My intention
is to ease the usage of cocoon/-lenya for spanish speaking people. It
seems to be very import for spanish speaking user to express themself in
their own language.

>> Could it be then hosted like http://es.cocoon.apache.org/lenya/ or
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/es/?
>

> I don't see any problem with having a Lenya committer posting Spanish
> pages in the Lenya webspace.
>
> Just make sure you don't disperse an already small community into two
> smaller ones.

Any tips how to prefend that?
I think one way is to open up a spanish user list and NOT a dev list.
So the developers would still only speak in english (but if you are a
software developer I think you should be able to speak in english anyway).

Like I stated before: I just want to help spanish cocoon/-lenya user
with our application.

...by the way: how about to do this as well with cocoon? I guess Antonio
could help me on that as well. ;-)

Thank you very much for this information and I will let you know about
the development.

King regards and saludos
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)