forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] request Apache Forrest TLP setup
Date Sat, 29 May 2004 09:57:56 GMT
David Crossley dijo:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>
>> >*) How should we deal with the old source repositories
>> >that are still available from
>> >http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/
>> >and cvs pserver
>> >Should we add a big WARNING STATUS file in there?
>>
>> If we have the history in SVN then
>> -1 I suggest to remove them so that *NO USER* can reach them.
>>
>> if not, still
>> -1 we are using SVN and not anymore CVS, there is no need for having it!
>> IMO it is a trap (I know what I am talking about because I saw it in the
>> cvs.apache.org tree and tried to commit there when I started ;-))
>
> Yes it is very confusing. I too would like it gone completely.
> However, we must remember that there may be people who are
> still using that version and have not yet upgraded to SVN.
> Can anyone see why such users would still need access?
>
> We can probably keep a snapshot of it at archives.apache.org

We also need to remember that the historic files are very important to
"probe" that we already did "something" at X date. Even in the ASF we
recently has a case related to JBoss claiming copy code in Apache
Geronimo:

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=22337

This case ended that Ceki Gulku showed that JBoss initially used some
sample files from log4j in JBoos:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/jboss.html

For that reason, I think it is important to keep the files easily
avaliable to link just in case. Since XML is a "hot" technology similar
case will happen to us.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.