forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject wiki vandalism (Was: [DRAFT] request Apache Forrest TLP setup)
Date Mon, 31 May 2004 14:22:24 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
> > I am aware there can be more pages generated but at least 6 links for free
> > on the net is good deal, right? ;-)
>
> Antonio, having a link on the net is useless in google-sense if there is
> no <a href=""> tag around it.

??? ... not sure what you mean. They have been vandalising the
Cocoon wiki pages by changing our links to point to their websites.
Google loves our web pages because they have such good content.
Apache wiki front pages have many incoming references from other
pages - Google loves it more. Our Wiki pages have links to each
page's history - Google gets excited. Google users discover our
pages and accidently follow the links. The vandals win.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to think that the web is becoming too
> big of a place for open wikis to work (just like to open email to work),
> but I think you are just irrationally overreacting if you think they get
> that much benefit out of it.

Yep, i have always had a problem with open wikis.

However, i do not think that Antonio is over-reacting.
I see his logic.

--David