forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject [DRAFT] request Apache Forrest TLP setup
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 08:32:41 GMT
I have started to prepare the request to infrastructure@a.o
We need to make the job easy for them - they are volunteers too.
Please add comments. I will compile the final request.

There are a few things that we need to clarify, and also
see if anyone has issues or something to add. Here are some:

*) Rename mailing lists

They will become dev@forrest.a.o and user@forrest.a.o

When Cocoon did a similar move, there was concern that
it might disrupt mailing archives, existing users and their
local mail filters, etc. The move did seem to go smoothly.
Does anyone have concerns?

*) Do we want a separate "cvs" mailing list and archive?
At the moment it automatically comes to "dev".

*) How should we deal with the old source repositories
that are still available from
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/
and cvs pserver
Should we add a big WARNING STATUS file in there?

*) Do we want a Wiki?

==========
Below is the draft message to infrastructure. Is there
anything to add or alter? ...

(i) addresses

Move existing lists:
   forrest-dev<AT>xml.apache.org => dev<AT>forrest.apache.org
   forrest-user<AT>xml.apache.org => user<AT>forrest.apache.org
Create new list:
   pmc<AT>forrest.apache.org

All lists are subscriber-only postings and non-subscriber
postings are moderated.

The "cvs" postings are already being directed to the "dev"
list and that should remain.

(ii) remote moderators for all lists

   crossley, stevenn

(iii) archives
   mbox
Move from http://xml.apache.org/mail/ to
http://forrest.apache.org/mail/dev/YYYYMM.gz
http://forrest.apache.org/mail/user/YYYYMM.gz

(iv) options
Same settings for all lists, except that "cvs"
would have Reply-To header going to "dev".

   I.   Reply-To: Header       [X] yes   [ ] no
   II.  Prefix in Subject      [ ] yes   [X] no
   III. Eyebrowse              [X] yes   [ ] no
   IV.  Moderation Message     [X] short [ ] long
   V.   Message Trailer        [ ] yes   [X] no

[2] Source repositories

(ii) SVN
Already using SVN. Needs to be moved.
repos/asf/xml/forrest/ => repos/asf/forrest/

What do developers need to do at our end after this?

Also need a new repository for the website at:
repos/asf/www/forrest.apache.org/

[3] Initial committer list

Not sure if any changes are needed to move to TLP.

Same as current:
twl,rubys,stefano,morrijr,crossley,stevenn,dirkx,nicolaken,kpiroumian,
bert,mpo,jefft,leosimons,cheche,brondsem,rgardler

Forrest committers are already able to commit to xml-site
and xml-commons, and we want that to remain.

Cocoon committers are already able to commit to forrest
and we want that to remain.

[4] Issue Tracker

(iii) Jira

We already use Jira at cocoondev.org
For now we will leave that in place and perhaps move
to Apache Jira later.

[5] Distributions

Create www.apache.org/ dist/forrest/
That is where we will put the next release.

Our current distribution is at
http://www.apache.org/ dist/xml/forrest/
We suppose that will remain until after the
next release. Then we move this to archives.apache.org

[6] Snapshots

Create http://cvs.apache.org/ snapshots/forrest/

Remove http://cvs.apache.org/ snapshots/xml-forrest/

Tweak the script that creates the snapshots.

[7] Wiki

We will make a separate request for that.

[8] Re-direction of xml.apache.org/forrest/

We presume that forrest committers can take care of that
ourself using a .htaccess file.