forrest-dev mailing list archives

From elev007.1034...@bloglines.com
Subject Re: simplified docbook and forrest
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 04:14:51 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

> > Use openoffice to create documents in simplified

...> > Does anyone have a simple set of steps that would allow me to do
> > the above using the current version of forrest (0.51 - not the one under

> > subversion).
> As others mentioned, you can use OO.org files directly.
 If you want to use
> simplified docbook, see the FAQ at
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/faq.html#docbook
 I have also found that (at least
> in the latest version; probably true
for 0.5.1 also) you must specify the
> DOCTYPE to be exactly this: <!DOCTYPE
refentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML
> V4.2//EN"
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">
 If you use a
> different version number it doesn't work.

When I was looking
for info about this for forrest - I came across the faq link that you mention
above.  One thing that concerned me was:
" Be aware that the stylesheet that
does this transformation is deliberately very limited.
The other way is to
use the DocBook stylesheets directly. The DocBook DTDs are shipped with Forrest
and automatically handled. However, you will need to have the DocBook stylesheets
on your system (they are too massive to ship with Forrest) and configure Forrest
accordingly. You will need to create a "sitemap"..."

The sentence about
significant limitation to me meant that there wasn't much of a useful thing
that was produced (my assumption is probably wrong).

As for the rest of
the above paragraph - I know that for a forrest super-dude like you, David
and a couple of other folks - this would be a walk in the park (i.e. editing
the sitemap).  For me (a mere mortal that until now thought that forrests
mainly involved those wooden tall stick like things)its a bit overwhelming
(where the referenced linked refers to understanding Coccon, etc...).

suppose that I can hope that the limited version will be good enough.

Eli