forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fw: Hermes Run (was Re: Missing Documentation)
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 01:02:06 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I don't know how aware you are (if at all) the Python Gump
> uses Forrest to convert xdocs (and SVGs) that represent it's
> run, into a site.

Sure we are. It is great that you do and we want to help
to keep it that way. Gump is an excellent use-case.

> This link is on one site, and references others:
>
>     http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/servers.html
>
> The Python code generates the XML, then launches forrest
> (pretty recent versions) against that.

I gather that you mean that you are using a recent version
of the SVN head, i.e. experimental.

> Unfortunately there are times when forrest just goes wacky, it's memory
> usage grows unbelievably & it bogs down to a crawl. I'm not sure if this is
> an obvious leak, or some sort of garbage collector confusion, or what.
> Unfortunately it isn't easily reproducible (although it might be on
> hermes.apache.org right now). I think it comes when given a certain number
> of artefacts to produce (where that number is quite large, few thousand.)
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts on Forrest tuning, or tracing, or whatever to
> attempt to dig into and/or resolve this problem?

Have you checked the logs? There are memory usage messages.
You may need to tweak logkit.xconf to get more messages.

Perhaps 'forrest -v' is of some help.

There is various info about Cocoon tuning which may be required
for your system/application.
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformance

--David