forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DEVOTE] Solving the skinconf riddle
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 14:55:20 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >>Each skin would have the complete version instead, with the
> >><!--@required--> tag stuff or the required="" attribute, from which
> >>Forrest would dynamically create the skinconf.xsl file that is now done
> >>"by hand".
> >>
> >>Given that this file would be made by skin authors and that it's better
> >>to keep a single schema for skinconfs maybe it's better to use the <!--@
> >>annotations for this file instance.
> >

> > I too am confused as to how it hangs together. Is this it? ...
> >
> > Each skin has a skinconf.xml (or is that skindef.xml) which is
> > managed by the skin creator people, not the users. It has the
> > documentation comments and the "@required" comments and has
> > all possible features.
>
> Correct.
>
> > There is a build task that generates certain files from that:
> > * skinconf.xsl which injects default values
>
> This is to be done in the sitemap IMHO, no build-time stuff.

You are right. My discussion points were more intended to define
what was generated rather than how or when.

> > * skinconf-vXY.rng which enables validation of users' skinconf.xml
>
> Correct. Validation is a build-time task, so it there is no issue in
> having it generated at that point.
>
> > * skinconf.xml which is an example file for users to apply
> > to their project skinconf.xml if they need to over-ride or
> > disable certain features.
>
> Hmmm, I was thinking instead of including a page in the Forrest docs
> with the documentation and an example version for cut-and-paste.

That too. It would also be good to have an actual xml file
that people can diff with their project skinconf.xml

Okay, it seems that we are on the same wavelength.

What is the next step?

--David