forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: SVN and Certificates
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 15:32:43 GMT

> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 09:52, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
> > This misery is probably partly my own (not being an SVN expert, and SVN
has
> > yet to mature)
>
> I'm going to take issue with this. :-)
>
> It's *mostly* due to the fact that Subclipse still needs a lot of work.

Sure, if Subclipse were there (and had that work you mention) & if it solved
this problem then I'd use it, and be happy. That said, I was forced to give
up on Subclipse, so it doesn't help. :)

The only comment I meant to make about SVN was that it isn't mature enough
to deal with odd 'external factors' (like Eclipse moving directories
containing .svn sub-directories) and with dumb users like me (who've read
the manual scantily at best, and don't have bandwidth to re-join the SVN
mailing list just to ask the occasional question.) Nothing in what SVN does
ought make it want to deal with this mis-use scenario (above), except it is
a fact of this user's life (until I give up on Eclipse, loved 2.x dislike
3.x (over modem), or settle the projects settle down and stop major
refactoring.)

Forgive me for being down on this stuff, I think I've reached my tolerance
point for working over a modem & needs some time off. When SVN works, it
works nicely.

regards,

Adam