forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian S. Hayes" <brian.hay...@comcast.net>
Subject [Proposal] Forrest Signature in HTML source WAS: Possible Live site??
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 21:07:36 GMT
I apologize if this has been discussed before...

After I saw the email below, I thought, "I should be able to view the HTML
source for a website to see if it was created using Forrest."  Well, at the
site below, there was nothing to in the HTML source to indicate Forrest.
The same goes for the Forrest home page at
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/index.html.

My proposal is that we have some appropriate meta elements and comments
placed in the generated HTML files.  For example, MS Word puts the following
in HTML files:
<head>
</head>

With Google and a mechanism such as this you can get a quick idea of how
many sites (or web pages) are generated using Forrest.
A Google search of "<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 10">" turns
up 6,000+ hits.

I'm sure follow-on discussion will determine exactly what is appropriate.
However, is the idea a good one?

/Brian