forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] DTD schema for skinconf
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:20:57 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi,
> Historically the skinconf file has hold the document type definition
> (DTD)  within the same file. This DTD ensure that the xml nodes are
> correct with that definition.
> This lead of problems when this definition is updated, so some of us,
> have put some effort to move out the DTD and replace with a public
> reference:
>
>  <!DOCTYPE skinconfig PUBLIC
>         "-//APACHE//DTD Skin Configuration V0.6//EN"
>         "skinconfig-v06.dtd">
>

> It can be used by xml editors to identity elements and attribute for
> this file.
>
> The problem with this public reference it that relays on a internet
> connection, but for that issue we have the "Catalog Entity Resolver for
> local DTDs" http://xml.apache.org/forrest/catalog.html
>
> With this, all these xml editors knows how to tread the skinconf.xml file.
>
> The last discussion with Nicola about the skinconf format suggested to
> remove DTD from the file.
> To move forward in that discussion,  I would like people to vote:
>
> keep DTD
> remove DTD

Sorry, but we have already voted for the new skinconf format, and the
result has been an ok to go ahead. I'm still not applying it to try and
get your +1, but this is just backwards.

I vote -1, as it's against the easy extensibility of it, as I think I
had said in my other mails.

In any case, I'd still like to hear what others think about this, as the
decision now is for:

1 Validation with DTD
2 Validation with RelaxNG and namespacing

I would go for option 2.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -