forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Forrest graduation from Xml.Apache
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:52:37 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:31:48PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Some weeks ago, he Xml Project has proposed to the board a plan of
>>reorganization. It contemplated the possible spinoff of Forrest to
>>Cocoon, but preliminar discussions with Cocoon members have showed that
>>maybe another option would be better: going top level.
>>
>>This would create a forrest.apache.org Project, with it's own PMC and
>>voting guidelines. We can still decide to keep SVN open to Cocoon
>>committers as we do now, and keep on doing development like now, except
>>that we will have a PMC and report to the board, which is how Projects
>>in Apache were thought to function from the start.
>>
>>If we decide to try this route we shall vote for it and ask the XML PMC
>>and board for it.
>>
>>WDOT?
>

> AFAIK the main purpose of a PMC is sorting out legal cruft.

Not really. Each Apache project should have a PMC which contains all the
binding voting members, or at least this was the initial intention. What
you are referring to IIUC is the private PMC list, that is used to deal
with sensitive issues.

> Since
> Forrest is mostly a Cocoon distribution,

Now, but not necessarily.

> Forrest legal issues are Cocoon
> legal issues, and it would make sense for Forrest to be a Cocoon
> subproject.

That was our initial plan, and what I had proposed here, to the Xml PMC
and to Cocoon

The fact is that I got the sense from the Cocoon PMC (actually more than
a sense, as some mails were wuite explicit) that some Cocoon members
don't want Forrest under Cocoon.

With more thought, I have changed my mind and now agree with them that
we should be indipendent.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -