forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New skinconf format
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:46:11 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:
>

>> Here is the proposal:
>>
>> * Forrest should work also without any skinconf element: skinconf
>>   elements are just hints, that a skin can decide not to follow
>>   (as it happens already actually, just that the DTD makes people think
>>    that Forrest will necessarily honor all hints)
>>

> So what will be the output without all the skinconf elements?

Good question, easy answer.

The search box should search the whole web, the skinconf trail should
not show, the header should not even appear, the colors are of the
standard theme for the skin, etc...

>> In this way we get lax and extensible elements but reasonable editing.
>> The DTD will not change, so we can easily inline it in the XML, thus
>> making it trivial for validating editors to validate it (no catalogs
>> to set).
>
> If the DTD will not change is because it does not validate for the
> elements say:
>
> <feature name="search" value="true">
>      <property name="foo">xml.apache.org</property>
>      <property name="morefoo">Apache XML</property>
>   </feature>
>
> On a skin there is a expectation for
> feature[@name='search']/property/attribute::name
>
> So it will not work and it will not display xml.apache.org

Correct, it will not work, as the names of the parameters are wrong. I
don't think it's too difficult to understand for the user: feature not
working == params not correct.

> I can see the beneficts, but I am not sure.

We would loose a benefit but gain others. IMHO the gains are much
bigger, especially seeing how the current system has not worked too well.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -