forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Copyless branch ready for testing
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:18:24 GMT

The "copyless" branch is ready for testing folks :-)

To try it, you must get this tree:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/forrest/branches/copyless

or use 'svn switch' to "transform" your local copy of the forrest trunk
in this branch (see http://subversion.tigris.org/ docs for more details).

Once you have it on your HD, do:

  cd path/to/copyless
  build
  cd path/to/your/project
  forrest run

If you want to make a webapp, instead of run do

   forrest webapp

To make the webapp run in Tomcat 5.0, just make a mywebapp.file in this dir:

   path/to/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml

with something like:

   <Context path="/mywebapp"
      docBase="path/to/my/webapp/build/webapp"
      reloadable="true" debug="0" privileged="true"/>

                   - 0 -

What has changed
=================

First of all, a build of Forrest just created a jar of the Forrest
classes. *Everything* else is gotten from the main forrest files. No
copying around.

(If you want to be sure that nothing wrong happens to your local Forrest
copy, just make another copy of it somewhere else, or run the dist
target that does exactly that)

The FORREST_HOME has thus changed to this dir:

   /path/to/forrest/src/core
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^

The bin is still in

    %FORREST_HOME%/bin

The webapp that Forrest generates is different from the ones it
generated before, as it does *not* *overwrite* files.

Instead, the webapp will be like this:

   mywebapp/
     -(contents of src/core)
     -project/(all the project to be documented)
     -WEB/INF/libs/(all Forrest /libs + the forrest jar)

basically it copies the src/core in the root webapp dir, the project in
/project, and the libs in WEB-INF/lib

Let me know how the test goes. There will surely be things to fix, let's
get these bugs out! :-)

I'd like to clean up many things that are there yet, but there are not
relevant to this branch, so when this will get merged back I will
eventually branch again to do them. Let's get this working, first.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -