forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] New skinconf format
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:29:07 GMT

The latest happenings on skinconf have brought me to consider a format
for skinconf.xml.

Here is the proposal:

* Forrest should work also without any skinconf element: skinconf
   elements are just hints, that a skin can decide not to follow
   (as it happens already actually, just that the DTD makes people think
    that Forrest will necessarily honor all hints)

* there is a simple DTD used as a structure (see below)

* features are listed in a doc file that is generated from the comments
   put in the fresh-site skinconf.xml

* any update to the skinconf that changes feature names will be included
   in the general skinconf pipeline xsl

Here is a proposed skinconf:

<skinconfig>
   <feature name="logo">
      <property name="name">Forrest"</property>
      <property name="url">http://xml.apache.org/forrest/</property>
      <property name="logo">images/project-logo.gif</property>
   </feature>

   <feature name="lucene" value="false"/>

   <feature name="search" value="true">
      <property name="domain">xml.apache.org</property>
      <property name="name">Apache XML</property>
   </feature>
   <feature name="obfuscate-mail-links" value="true"/>
   <!--  -->
   <feature name="credits" value="true"/>
     <element>
       <property name="name">Built with Cocoon</property
       <property name="url">http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/</property >
       <property name="image">images/built-with-cocoon.gif</property >
       <property name="width">88</property >
       <property name="height">31</property >
     </element>
     <element>
       <property name="name">...</property
       <property name="url">...</property >
       <property name="image">...</property >
       <property name="width">...</property >
       <property name="height">...</property >
     </element>
   </feature>
</skinconfig>

In this way we get lax and extensible elements but reasonable editing.
The DTD will not change, so we can easily inline it in the XML, thus
making it trivial for validating editors to validate it (no catalogs to
set).

In this way we will have a simple skinconf DTD, that is both extensible
and formally validated.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -