forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: rev 10172 - in xml/forrest/branches/copyless: . src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation src/documentation
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:52:21 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: nicolaken
>> Date: Thu Apr 22 04:13:28 2004
>> New Revision: 10172
>>
>> Modified:
>>    xml/forrest/branches/copyless/build.xml
>>
>> xml/forrest/branches/copyless/src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation/skinconf.xml

>>    xml/forrest/branches/copyless/src/documentation/skinconf.xml
>> Log:
>> Remove DTD from skinconf and make it validate as simple XML.
>>

> Is this necessary?  I thought cheche got it working well.

That's a good question, and I hesitated to do it as well.

The fact is that somehow I was still getting errors in the logs about a
missing DTD, so I got irritated and took them away. Ok, so this is not a
technical reason, but the more I think of it, the more it seems to make
sense. Do property files have a DTD? Do they need one?

For example, let's say that somebody makes a skin that needs some extra
customization values... where do they put them? Without a DTD, they can
easily add them to the skinconf file.

What are the reasons we should keep the DTD, given the above point and
the problems we have been having till now (not no mention having to make
users update the DTD at every change)?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -