forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Finalizing html-ihtml-ehtml
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:35:11 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>Since I have not recieved any comments (IOW all seems well) and in the
>>past there have been contrasting opinions, I reckon that lazy consensus
>>does not apply, and am thus now asking for a vote.
>>
>>The goal is to make html files be treated as a source to clean, and
>>xhtml files as a source to skin (ala ehtml).
>>
>>Hence:
>>
>>1 - make .html extensions work as .ihtml
>>2 - Add an .xhtml source extension that will be used also with xhtml2,
>>     and have unrecognized tags that can exist in the output percolate
>>     through the html output.
>>     This removes need for the multi-namespace support would instead
>>     force us to do relax-ng validation or no validation at all.
>>3 - deprecate .ihtml and .ehtml
>>
>>Reference for html-xhtml:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/
>>
>>My vote: +1
>
> +1
>
> 1 & 3 we could do now.  2 should wait until the xhtml2 switch.  Right?

Well, in fact no :-)

We can do (2) right now, but use XHTML1.0. When we switch to XHTML2.0 as
an intermediate format, it will be then trivial to add it to the DTDs
under XHTML.

Basically .xhtml will work exactly like xml works now. We could in fact
use the current .xml extensions, but xhtml has it's own extension and
media type, so I prefer to do as outlined above.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -