forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Finalizing html-ihtml-ehtml
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:05:20 GMT

Forrest is able to use html files as content, but till now it uses
seamingly wierd extensions like ihtml and ehtml, that have come out of
different views of how Forrest should deal with them.

Recent needs have brought this to my attention, and I'd like to try and
close the issue.

Currently:

  - ihtml -> cleaned html -> xdoc -> output
  - ehtml -> pass as-is   -> output (IIRC)

Basically what happens is that ehtml keeps all html tags till the
output, while ihtml removes all content that is not convertible to xdoc.

The reason for ihtml is that with it users can also see the content in
PDF and all other output formats.
The reason for ehtml is that sometimes one needs to add form elements or
other features to the pages that xdocs do not support.

Now, what remains to be decided is what to do with the 'html' extension.
Some wanted it to function as ihtml, some as ehtml.

Why would we need to have that extension work at all?

Simple: so that it becomes a snap to convert legacy sites to Forrest.
And for example make it possible for Gump to publish a simple unskinned
html report in case Forrest does not complete the run, *without* keeping
two source formats.

My last proposal was to do the following:

1 - make .html extensions work as .ihtml
2 - make it possible to insert namespaced html tags in the xdocs and
     make these tags percolate through in the html output; this can
     and should be extended also to fo and the like. In this case
     ehtml pages would not be needed anymore, as users would write
     namespaced xdocs (with xdoc and html namespaces)
3 - deprecate .ihtml and .ehtml

WDYT?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -