forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: [issues] Created: (FOR-133) Cocoon.xconf is misconfigured in WAR
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:39:02 GMT
På 20. apr. 2004 kl. 22.54 skrev Ross Gardler:

> issues@cocoondev.org wrote:
>> Message:
>> When building a war file, the generated WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf file
>> contains absolute paths to the resources, content, catalogs etc of
>> the webapp as found on the development computer. This brakes the war
>> when installed in a servlet container. Manually editing cocoon.xconf
>> after installing the war fixes the issue.
>
> This was broken by a recent commit that prevents cocoon-live.xconf
> from being configured and replacing cocoon.xconf when building the
> war. This was pointed out on the list but the change was never
> reverted (and I'm afraid I have not had the time to download and
> configure SVN so I'm unable to do this).

  Sorry I didn't catch that thread - I'm still pretty new to Forrest,
and things I don't understand tend to go unnoticed.

> If you uncomment the lines in the webapp target that copy
> cocoon-live.xconf into the webapp directory it should work.

I tried, but with disastrous results, of which I don't understand
anything:
--------- start of error msg ---------
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet Cocoon threw
exception
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.jav
a:963)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:
668)
         at
e.java:210)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
480)
         at
         at
e.java:191)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
480)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:
2415)
         at
:180)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
         at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherVa
lve.java:171)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
         at
:172)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
480)
         at
         at
java:174)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
480)
         at
         at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
594)
         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11Protocol.java:392)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:
565)
         at
.java:619)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

root cause
java.lang.StackOverflowError
--------- end of error msg ---------

If I then go back and comment out the said block again (producing a
bogus cocoon.xconf, which I then would edit manually), I now get a
similar error:

--------- start of error msg ---------
type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

[...]

	[an endless list similar to the above]
--------- end of error msg ---------

The webapp used was a fresh seed, with the samples removed (thus, only
the index and status files, nothing more. Only default settings in
forrest.properties and skinconf.xml.

Note: I did a svn update before I made the changes in the webapp
target, but the only affected files from yesterday were:

a80-186-85-67:~/svn-forrest/forrest sjur$ svn update
A  legal/jsch-0.1.14.jar.license.txt
U  src/documentation/content/xdocs/forrestbot.xml
A  tools/ant/lib/jsch-0.1.14.jar
A  tools/ant/lib/ant-jsch.jar
U  scratchpad/forrestbot2/core/getsrc.xml
U  scratchpad/forrestbot2/core/deploy.xml
Updated to revision 10146.

As far as I can see, none of these updates/additions should affect the
making of the webapp/war, but except for commenting in/out the
cocoon-live.xconf copying block, no other changes has been done. So
somehow the build process has been mixed up.

> You are right the need for cocoon-live.xconf should be removed by this
> work. But I don't know if Nikola Ken has tested this, I don't think
> this is one of his use cases. Perhaps you could test it for us?

I would be happy to, anytime (almost;)

Sjur