forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Forrest graduation from Xml.Apache
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:53:27 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:31:48PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Some weeks ago, he Xml Project has proposed to the board a plan of
>>reorganization. It contemplated the possible spinoff of Forrest to
>>Cocoon, but preliminar discussions with Cocoon members have showed that
>>maybe another option would be better: going top level.
>>
>>This would create a forrest.apache.org Project, with it's own PMC and
>>voting guidelines. We can still decide to keep SVN open to Cocoon
>>committers as we do now, and keep on doing development like now, except
>>that we will have a PMC and report to the board, which is how Projects
>>in Apache were thought to function from the start.
>>
>>If we decide to try this route we shall vote for it and ask the XML PMC
>>and board for it.
>>
>>WDOT?
>

> AFAIK the main purpose of a PMC is sorting out legal cruft.  Since
> Forrest is mostly a Cocoon distribution, Forrest legal issues are Cocoon
> legal issues, and it would make sense for Forrest to be a Cocoon
> subproject.

I would be against such a thing. I think that containment is bad and
that technological containment is worse. If forrest keeps using cocoon
it means that 90% of their legal issues will be solved by the cocoon
PMC. A silent PMC is the ideal PMC for the ASF.

Each solid and diverse enough community should have its own TLP. It's
like graduating, it's like moving out of the house. It makes parents
sad, but also proud ;-)

--
Stefano.