forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New skinconf format
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:36:23 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:

>> can we find another way to extend the skinconfig?
>

> Tell me.

"standard" forrest configuration is hold under skinconf.xml, other can
be on a diferent file, then a transformation mix them out and put them
under {project.webapp}/skinconf.xml

This transformation could be on build time or run time.

>> When you suggest to have a DTD that does not change, this implies that
>> the only thing that check is that the document is xml, so we are
>> better of turn it on validation off and remove the DTD reference from
>> the file.
>

> It's not correct, as the DTD helps in editing the file with an editor
> that hints the tags.

But because you want to make it more complex:

If you said that on our skinconf each element is a feature, these two
elements are the same:

   <feature name="logo">
      <property name="name">Forrest"</property>
      <property name="url">http://xml.apache.org/forrest/</property>
      <property name="logo">images/project-logo.gif</property>
   </feature>

<logo name="forrest" url="http://xml.apache.org/forrest"
logo="images/project-logo.gif" />

If you want to group features then you have to:

<feature name="credits" value="true">
     <element>
       <property name="name">Built with Cocoon</property
       <property name="url">http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/</property >
       <property name="image">images/built-with-cocoon.gif</property >
       <property name="width">88</property >
       <property name="height">31</property >
     </element>
<feature/>

That is the same as

<credits>
  <element name="Built with Cocoon" url="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/"
image="images/built-with-cocoon.gif" width="88" height="31"/>
<credits>

But with validation switch it off.

Am I right?

> In any case, it's useless to go on like this when we both understand the
> points of the other. What I'm asking to vote for is a compromise between
> fixed values and a more lax system. The other votes I've seen are +1,
> what is yours?

I am on -0