forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [issues] Created: (FOR-133) Cocoon.xconf is misconfigured in WAR
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:17:42 GMT
Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
> På 20. apr. 2004 kl. 22.54 skrev Ross Gardler:
>
>> issues@cocoondev.org wrote:
>>
>>> Message:
>>> When building a war file, the generated WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf file
>>> contains absolute paths to the resources, content, catalogs etc of
>>> the webapp as found on the development computer. This brakes the war
>>> when installed in a servlet container. Manually editing cocoon.xconf
>>> after installing the war fixes the issue.
>>

>> This was broken by a recent commit that prevents cocoon-live.xconf
>> from being configured and replacing cocoon.xconf when building the
>> war. This was pointed out on the list but the change was never
>> reverted (and I'm afraid I have not had the time to download and
>> configure SVN so I'm unable to do this).
>

>  Sorry I didn't catch that thread - I'm still pretty new to Forrest,
> and things I don't understand tend to go unnoticed.

No, we should have fixed it in SVN rather than waiting for a user to
find the problem - our mistake not yours.

>> If you uncomment the lines in the webapp target that copy
>> cocoon-live.xconf into the webapp directory it should work.
>

> I tried, but with disastrous results, of which I don't understand
> anything:

<snip/>

> root cause
> java.lang.StackOverflowError
> --------- end of error msg ---------

Interesting, this needs exploring, although I doubt I will find the time
(it is the last week of teaching before exams, after this week my time
is my own again).

> If I then go back and comment out the said block again (producing a
> bogus cocoon.xconf, which I then would edit manually), I now get a
> similar error:

<snip/>

> root cause
> java.lang.StackOverflowError
>     [an endless list similar to the above]
> --------- end of error msg ---------

Hmmm....

You didn't get this error before temporarliy editing the ANT file. Try
deleting the build directory and rebuilding to see if it works OK. This
should be done in the build anyway, but lets just check that out.

Also try doing forrest run - does everything work OK then?

>> You are right the need for cocoon-live.xconf should be removed by
>> this  work. But I don't know if Nikola Ken has tested this, I don't
>> think  this is one of his use cases. Perhaps you could test it for us?
>

> I would be happy to, anytime (almost;)

If you are not urgently requiring this to work then I recomend you try
out the branch Nikolen Ken is working on (see other message in this
thread for instructions). Be aware this work is not complete though.

(although I know Nikolen Ken rarely starts commiting to SVN unless he
knows he has the time to finish the job so unless something critical
gets in his way we can expect it working pretty soon)

Ross