forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: ant tasks to do cvs add and cvs commit?
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:28:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>>><snip/>
>>
>>No, unfortunately you have to 'cvs add' all new files before 'cvs commit'.
>>
>>Perhaps we could just create and use a deploy.scp and not host our
>>website in CVS at all.
>

> For the Apache sites, they *must* be held in CVS.
> There is various past discussion on the infrastructure@a.o
> list about that.

Ok

> We obviously need control over the add/commit, e.g. the bin/text
> thing. I read that someone was horrified that Ant was turning
> into a scripting tool. Is there a way that Ant calls a shell
> script - i would be much happier with that.

Yes I agree Ant isn't designed to be a scripting language so when we try
to do such things it gets ugly.  somebody needs to create a simple,
cross-platform shell scripting language..

We could call a shell script from Ant, however that would not work in
Windows.  It would be nice to support Windows, but realistically there
are probably very few people who will use forrestbot to deploy their
website from windows to a cvs repository.

As soon as I have time I will make a few attempts at doing this all in
Ant  But if it becomes impossible or very ugly, I guess we can just go
with a shell script.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming