forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Open Office Support (Re: Openoffice: keeping forrest styles loaded)
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:34:09 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
>> Jason End wrote:
>>
>>> You're right! I hadn't noticed that all documents work
>>> like that. Seems kinda silly to me. I'm still on my crusade to allow
>>> non-tech people to
>>> write documents for forrest.
>>>

>> For this reasons I added support for OpenOffice. Could you report
>> back your experiences with OO and Forrest? It would be very appreciated!
>

> I have done some work on OO integration, I have Writer and Impress
> files working with basic formatting. Basically, I have extended the
> work you did and am extracting style information from the sx* files as
> well. What does this mean? We are not restricted to using a particular
> template, we simply use the normal formatting rules.
>
> Of course, the problem with this is that the content could have a
> totally different look and feel to the main site. Do we see this as a
> major problem?

When I integrated OO I was looking for a way to write documentation in a
very simple way without having to learn a new tool. I have to admit that
I prefer extracting only the style-free content of an OO document in
order to get a common layout.

I think we can support both solutions: We can add special information to
the header which provides information that "only" the content should be
extracted. If this flag is not set your stylesheet is used. We should
also add a OpenOffice writer template (.stw file) for the convenience of
our users.
WDYT?

BTW, do you use the original XHTML export stylesheet of OpenOffice or
did you write your own one?

--
Reinhard