forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <>
Subject Re: man pages as source
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 01:58:12 GMT wrote:
>  > I'm starting a new project and of course want to document it using
>  > forrest :-)  But I also want to provide traditional manpages.
>  >  I could
>  > use some source format (like docbook or xhtml2) that could be
>  > converted
>  > to both manpage source and to forrest's doc-v12.  Or I could
>  > write/find
>  > a way to convert manpage source to a forrest doc-v12.
>  >
>  > Does any of this exist already?  Or any other ideas?
> I think writing the docbook and generating the man- and info-pages would
> be the
> best way. I don´t know any tools for that, but a quick googling gave me
> some
> hits [1-3]. But IMHO these tools can not be included in Forrest, so
> writing a
> stylesheet for generating the man-pages from doc-v12 (don´t know the
> docbook
> support in Forrest) would be the cleaner way...
> Jan

Like Joao mentioned, forrest supports docbook manpages now.  And I use
the tools from to convert it to a man
page.  There are a few tricks to get it to work well, though.  Would it
be useful for me to post a quick HOWTO somewhere?

I have a automake/autoconf project at that is set up
to generate a forrest site and install the man pages from the docbook
files, if you're interested in checking it out.  But the docbook files
themselves are minimal right now.

Dave Brondsema : : programming : student org : personal

View raw message