forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Joao Araujo <j...@wireless-networks.com>
Subject Re: man pages as source
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:06:58 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

> > I'm starting a new project and of course want to document it using
> > forrest :-)  But I also want to provide traditional manpages.
> >  I could
> > use some source format (like docbook or xhtml2) that could be
> > converted
> > to both manpage source and to forrest's doc-v12.  Or I could
> > write/find
> > a way to convert manpage source to a forrest doc-v12.
> >
> > Does any of this exist already?  Or any other ideas?
>

> I think writing the docbook and generating the man- and info-pages
> would be the
> best way. I don´t know any tools for that, but a quick googling gave
> me some
> hits [1-3]. But IMHO these tools can not be included in Forrest, so
> writing a
> stylesheet for generating the man-pages from doc-v12 (don´t know the
> docbook
> support in Forrest) would be the cleaner way...

    Forrest support docbook manpages automatically. Just drop a dockbook
manpage
    as xml doc into the xdocs directory. It will work fine. (thanks to
dave brondsema)

    Make sure you have this DOCTYPE :
    <!DOCTYPE refentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
        "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">

    You will also need the latest version of forrest. Install it from CVS.

Joao,