forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Forrest graduation from Xml.Apache
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:08:37 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi>
> > WDOT?
>
> What are the advantages & disadvantages?

Well, let us all try to list them. Here are some ...

Pro
---
* Better visibility.

* Stable and easily recognised URL forrest.apache.org

* Forrest PMC attends to our own community, rather than via
some other PMC .

* Indicates that we are wider than just xml.

Con
---
* Committees and paperwork. :-)

* Need to spend some effort to define our own Charter and Guidelines.
This could be turned into a Pro because it gives our community
more guidance.

* Need to prepare our own periodic reports to the Board.
Anyway, we need to do that now via the Xml PMC.

* Need to define the composition of the PMC. For example, at Cocoon
the PMC is the subset of all committers who want to be there.
A PMC can appear to the rest of the community to be a clique
(a select group) because the discussions are not public. This is
erroneous because the only things that are talked about are the
nasty legal ramifications of certain included external software.

Other
-----
* Would we still retain some affiliation with the Apache XML
umbrella project?

I tried to look around for a general definition of the Roles
and Responsibilities of a PMC, but not much luck. Even these
are not very helpful:
http://incubator.apache.org/learn/glossary.html#PMC
http://www.apache.org/foundation/roles.html#pmc
Perhaps Nicola Ken can point to more.

> My first concern is that it seems we only have a handful of active developers at
> a time.  Moving to a top-level project would probably give us more visibility
> and could put too much pressure on us for features/fixes (especially during
> times when we committers are busy with non-forrest things).

Ah, an interesting point. More visibility brings more participants.
On those occasions when the few committers cannot apply the
contributions (patches or ideas) then those things remain undone.
Perhaps one of those new participants will get itchy and start
contributing patches and otherwise indicating their commitment
to Forrest. We notice that and invite them to become committers.

--David