forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: rev 10172 - in xml/forrest/branches/copyless: . src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation src/documentation
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:33:15 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
> > nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
> >
> >> Author: nicolaken
> >> Date: Thu Apr 22 04:13:28 2004
> >> New Revision: 10172
> >>
> >> Modified:
> >>    xml/forrest/branches/copyless/build.xml
> >>

> xml/forrest/branches/copyless/src/core/fresh-site/src/documentation/skinconf.xml
>

> >>    xml/forrest/branches/copyless/src/documentation/skinconf.xml
> >> Log:
> >> Remove DTD from skinconf and make it validate as simple XML.
> >>

> > Is this necessary?  I thought cheche got it working well.
>
> That's a good question, and I hesitated to do it as well.
>
> The fact is that somehow I was still getting errors in the logs about a
> missing DTD, so I got irritated and took them away. Ok, so this is not a
> technical reason, but the more I think of it, the more it seems to make
> sense. Do property files have a DTD? Do they need one?
>
> For example, let's say that somebody makes a skin that needs some extra
> customization values... where do they put them? Without a DTD, they can
> easily add them to the skinconf file.

Very good point.

> What are the reasons we should keep the DTD, given the above point and
> the problems we have been having till now (not no mention having to make
> users update the DTD at every change)?

The only users that have to update their DTDs frequently are people keeping up
with SVN.  And in that case the DTD will make sure they keep up to date with any
changes.

I'm ok without a DTD so long as we replace it with a (web) document that lists
and explains each element & attribute.  It should be up-to-date all the time for
both the latest release and current SVN.

And a [headsup] email to forrest-dev for any change to the skinconf that isn't
backwards compatable.

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming