forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: upgrading an existing forrest installation
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:39:59 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>>It complains about @level on the TOC element. It has been replace
>>@max-depth. Now he have 2 options here:
>>1)allow the level attribute even it will not be used.
>>2) create a xsl file that convert old skin @level to be converted to
> I don't have a problem with breaking backwards compatibility here because
> the fix is so easy.  We just have to make sure we document it on an
> "upgrading to 0.6" page.

We don't necessarily need to break it.

Look here:

In particular this:

       <map:pipeline internal-only="false">
          <map:match pattern="**skin/skinconf.xml">
            <map:generate src="{project:skinconf}" />
            <map:select type="exists">
            <map:select type="exists">
            <map:transform type="skinconf"/>
            <map:serialize type="xml" />

This means that every time skinconf is used, the xsl in
{forrest:home}context/skins/common/skinconf.xsl is *always* applied.

So if we mark all the elements as not required and put default values in
the above xsl, along with transformations for name changes, we will not
break compatibility.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -