forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: upgrading an existing forrest installation
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:13:27 GMT
Rob Exley wrote:

> What is the recommended approach for upgrading an existing forrest
> installation ?
>
> I am in the process of using forrest for an internal documentation site and
> having just updated my forrest build directory from SVN it now complains
> about illegal attributes within the skinconf.xml file on the toc element.
>
> I can see the changes so I have no problem fixing this, my question is what
> have people found to be the best way to handle changes such as this in an
> existing installation ? I don't want to have to re-seed a new directory and
> copy over all my documentation every time, especially as I now have it all
> under version control.
>
> Is it just a case of trying 'forrest run' and seeing what breaks ?

Unfortunately skinconf.xml files don't have versioning nor upgrade
systems, so it's always a matter of comparing the most recent template
with the existing one.

As for other features... it's mainly left to users that test and report
eventual problems here. We try to keep Forrest backward compatible, but
skinconf in particular has bitten us sometimes.

In any case, we should IMNSHO stop *requiring* attributes and elements,
as currently the skinconf file is always augmented before being read, so
we can cater for missing elements there, filling it in with defaults.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -