forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: i18n suggestion
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:24:06 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
 > The question is -
> what do do if there is a translated page that isn't accessible via a
> direct route from the homepage. This page wouldn't be found if we just
> followed links from a language's index page.

This is a more general point: should we generate only pages that are
accessible through crawling?

Short info for others: Cocoon is basically a function that transform som
input into output through xml. It's a generally non-trivially invertible
function, as it's not always easy (or possible in some cases) to define
the result space from the source space. For example, if a matcher
matches *my.html, and generates using my.xml, we will have infinite
possible result docs, named ciaomy.html, himy.html, themy.html, etc.

A pragmatic solution is to statically generate, similarly to wget, only
the pages that are reachable from an initial set, usually the homepage.
In fact this makes sense, as site contents should always be reachable
from the homepage.

Alternatives are to define an easy mapping from source files like Anakia
does and stick to that. In this way by reading a source dir we already
have the resulting files. But since we want a totally interlinked site,
do we really need this?

I would simply add, beside the "pdf" and "print" buttons a "lang"
section where we can select the language. In this way all pages would be
easily reachable.

The question is how to do this: combobox, list with css, list with
javascript?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -