forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: i18n suggestion
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:18:07 GMT
På 17. mar. 2004 kl. 15.55 skrev Upayavira:

> Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
>
>> På 17. mar. 2004 kl. 15.20 skrev Juan Jose Pablos:
>>
>>> I do not know how the CLI follow the links, but maybe we can create
>>> a <DIV> element with all the languages available for that file. Then
>>> ask CLI to use the @hreflang to determine if needs to follow or not.
>>
>> Great! That would as well be a perfect starting point for creating a
>> language menu for users that need to override content negotiation -
>> the menu would reflect the available languages for the page, which is
>> what you normally want.
>
> And how do you maintain that? Now, instead of just dropping a source
> xml file into the relevant folder, you've got to add a reference to it
> to some other source file. Isn't that just another thing to maintain?

Sorry, should have been more clear:

No, on the contrary. The idea is to create the menu automatically,
based on the suggestion from Cheche (if it is feasible). The whole
process would go something like this:

- create a <div> with all available locales for the source file
- use it for what Cheche had in mind
- reuse and remold it as a language override menu: this step has to be
different for the servlet and the static versions, as they have
different capabilities regarding content negotiation and overriding
possibilities; this also includes replacing locale codes with human
readable language/locale names
- place the final div somewhere adequate on the output html page

If you drop a file in an appropriate directory, the first step above
would pick it up the next time you run forrest, and a new language
would appear on the final page. I see no need to maintain anything,
except somewhere a catalog of locales and their corresponding natural
language names (but locale codes would be ok as well, if you know your
audience).

Sjur