forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Q: Further i18n and ISO 639-2 support
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:02:28 GMT
Hello!

I am developing a site using Forrest (0.5.1, which is eventually to
become multilingual. To that I have a few questions:

1) I have read the archives and the discussion on #FOR-18, and
understand that menus and tabs can now be i18n-ed. What is still not
clear is how to serve different content (ie language versions):
Can/should I use the Cocoon i18n features without any further ado, or
is there more to do for Forrest?

2) One thing is still missing: a div with language selections for the
user. Selecting a language should set a session language and/or cookie,
thus overriding any browser/httpd negotiation selection. As is
mentioned in the #FOR-18 discussion, this is needed for users that does
not know how to set browser languages (or in cases where it is not
possible to set the wanted language), or when using a "foreign"
computer at a cafe or similar. This div should be on/off by a
forrest/site setting, thus available for users needing it.

3) all examples I have seen, and all documentation refers to ISO 639-1
codes (two letters) only. The site I am developing will serve several
languages that do not have two-letter codes, only three-letter ISO
639-2 codes. Will such codes be handled equally well, or will the
additional letter brake any Forrest/Cocoon/Java/httpd code?

Regards,
Sjur N. Moshagen