forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <>
Subject i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:36:55 GMT

I'm testing the i18n features of Forrest, and there are a couple of
things that does not work for me. First, the setup:

- (almost) latest CVS (from a couple of days before the shift to svn)
- running the sample site on default localhost:8888, with minimal
	modifications to test i18n and l10n:
	- added tabs_no.xml to translations/
	- added index_no.xml to content/xdocs/
- MacOS 10.3.2
- Java 1.4.2_03
- browser: Safari
- language preferences: no, sv, da, is, fi, se, en_GB, en (from highest
to lowest priority)

The problems:

- the menu and tabs are not translated when opening
localhost:8888/index.html, only the body
	=> Expected: the whole page to be served in the 'no' locale (as all
prerequisites are there: menu, tabs, and page)

- Page not found when opening samples/index.html, complaining that
content/xdocs/samples/index_no.xml does not exist (which is true)
	=> Expected: to be served the default page (index.xml -> index.html),
according to the standard (as I have understood cocoon) downgrading

- the CLI complained and finally FAILED due to missing _no documents -
adding xdocs/index_no.xml seemed to indicate to the CLI that ALL files
should also exist in _no variants. That assumption does not hold, and
will never hold for my site.
	=> Expected: the CLI should generate whatever is given to it - if one
file has five language variants, another three, and still another only
one, it should generate exactly that site. It has to be up to the
content negotiation to pick the _best_ one, given the users priorities.

View raw message