forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Masover <maso...@berkeley.edu>
Subject local catalog not loaded/used, Cocoon phase of Forrest build
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:44:14 GMT
Hi,

I am using Forrest 0.5.1 on Java 1.4.2_03, and am trying to add my own DTDs
to a site.  I've backtracked to the point of attempting simply to follow
published instructions
(http://xml.apache.org/forrest/validation.html#Creating+or+extending+a+DTD)
using a freshly seeded site directory and adding only the files described
below (the sample DTD extension for download-v11.dtd).

Problem: While Forrest validates using the DTD referenced in the
catalog.xcat file, as advertised at the url cited above, the Cocoon phase
of the site build is looking for the DTD referenced in the
instance-document doctype (ignoring the catalog entry) rather than using
catalog.xcat.  This appears to be due to Cocoon's attempt to locate the
catalog file in a different location in the build directory tree
(build/tmp/context/src/documentation/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat)
from that to which it was actually copied
(build/tmp/context/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat).

I am unable to find a setting, in forrest.properties or elsewhere, that
would cause this.  Is this a bug?  Is it something I've failed to set
properly?  I can force a build by including BOTH the catalog.xcat entry and
refering to the correct file path & name in the system-identifier of the
xml instance's DOCTYPE tag ... but that isn't elegant (requires maintenance
of both the catalog.xcat and DOCTYPE tags in each of the sites XML
instances), and it isn't working as advertised in the Forrest site's docs.

Excerpts from Forrest's output follow my signature, to illustrate the
problem described above.  The files added to the fresh forrest site are
described below that.

Thanks for any & all responses!

Steve Masover
masover@berkeley.edu

Excerpts from Forrest's output given file additions
described below.
Copying 33 files to D:\junk\fsite-pristine\build\tmp\context
Copying 3 files to D:\junk\fsite-pristine\build\tmp\context\WEB-INF

validate-xdocs:
10 file(s) have been successfully validated.
...validated xdocs
[...]
cocoon 2.1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
[...]
file:/D:/junk/fsite-pristine/build/tmp/context/./src/documentation/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat
Catalog does not exist:
file:/D:/junk/fsite-pristine/build/tmp/context/./src/documentation/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat
[...]
X [0]                       download.html       BROKEN:
D:\junk\fsite-pristine\build\tmp\context\content\xdocs\downloads.dtd (The
system cannot find the file specified)
[...]

files/entries added to freshly seeded forrest directory

* a local catalog file:
src/documentation/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat [contents included below]

* an extended DTD, copied verbatim from
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/validation.html#Creating+or+extending+a+DTD
in src/documentation/resources/schema/dtd/download-v11.dtd

* an xml instance, download.xml, placed in src/documentation/content/xdocs
with the following doctype declaration (note that filename intentionally
does NOT refer to the DTD on my filesystem):

     <!DOCTYPE document
               PUBLIC "-//Acme//DTD Download Documentation V1.0//EN"
"downloads.dtd">

* a simple addition to site.xml:

     <download label="Downloads"
href="download.html"  description="Downloads Listing" />

contents of
src/documentation/resources/schema/local-catalog.xcat
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- OASIS XML Catalog for Forrest -->
<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
   <public publicId="-//Acme//DTD Download Documentation V1.0//EN"
     uri="dtd/download-v11.dtd"/>
</catalog>