forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:26:12 GMT
Cheche,

Apologies for my ignorance regarding Forrest, I am pretty new to this.

På 11. mar. 2004 kl. 02.08 skrev Juan Jose Pablos:

> Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
>>  => Expected: when a language version is not found, try the next
>> language on the list (nb), if not found, try the next one (no) -
>> succeed and serve.
>> Does anyone have any idea of what is going wrong here?
>> Sjur
>
> Forrest is focus in creating the static content, so it can be use by
> the apache web server.
>
> I am happy just only to get a decent output so it can be use why the
> apache web server and do all the things that you are reporting.

OK. I had for myself focused on the dynamic part, and assumed that
Forrest = (a subset of) Cocoon. Also, the information on the Forrest
home page lead me in that direction:

> Static or Dynamic
>
>  Uniquely amongst comparable documentation tools, Forrest generates
> sites that can run both interactively as a dynamic  web application,
> or as statically rendered pages.
>
>  This provides a path for site growth: start off small and static, and
>  if dynamic features (user login, forms processing, runtime data, site
>  search etc) are one day needed, these can be accommodated by
> switching  to webapp mode.
>
>  Running as a webapp has another advantage: content can be written,
> and  then the rendered output viewed almost instantly in a web
> browser.  This technique requires a bit setting up, but once working
> it makes Forrest's edit/review cycle faster than command-line
> transformation tools.

And on the introduction page
(http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html):

> Interactive Forrest: developing docs faster
>
>  ... As the dream  list notes, Forrest was originally intended to be
> used for dynamic sites, and the Cocoon crawler used only to create
> static  snapshots for mirroring.

That is, the basic documentation emphasises and points out the
advantages of using the dynamic aspect of Forrest for web development,
which is in clear contrast with what you write. I would very much like
Forrest to be the dynamic web development tool it is said to be, but
more importantly, the limitations of Forrest in various areas should be
clearly documentet. Especially the present limitations regarding i18n
should be noted - the known i18n issues isn't even listed on the 'Open
issues' page.

I might be happy with the static solution for the final production
site, but for development purposes I need the dynamic version with i18n
support as outlined, and sooner rather than later;) I am happy to help
with whatever to make that come through.

Sjur