forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: i18n suggestion
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:26:58 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

>Quoting Upayavira <uv@upaya.co.uk>:
>

>>But to do that, you've got to do all sort of directoryGenerator
>>handling, to look into the source folder, and find all of the files that
>>are translations of this particular page and then convert that into the
>>every page.
>>
>>Also, I don't like the idea of the CLI having to rely upon some content
>>of the page (other than links), especially something we arbitrarily add.
>>It means that the CLI will no longer work on ordinary sites, unless
>>someone codes them specifically for use with the CLI.
>>
>>So I'm not really happy with this approach. For now, though, I've not
>>got a better suggestion
>>
>>Upayavira
>>

>I'm personally interested in getting i18n to work for forrest too, but I haven't
>been following this thread too closely.  What exactly is the issue with
>spidering on links?  Can't we give multiple initial pages (the index for each
>language) to the CLI and it will then spider along the links and generate all
>the pages we need?

That has always been how I've been planning to do it. The question is -
what do do if there is a translated page that isn't accessible via a
direct route from the homepage. This page wouldn't be found if we just
followed links from a language's index page.

If necessary, you can always add pages that aren't linked to the
cli.xconf so that they are crawled.

I don't know if this is an issue though. It is by far the easiest way to
do it.

Upayavira