forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:07:41 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>>> Before This I think that mostly we need to define the goal. What is
>>> the output file name  that you want for static and there URI request
>>> for dynamic sites?.
>>

>> Surely I've covered that in my CLI extensions proposal?
>>

> I think so. There is only one think that I am not 100%. see Below.

Okay.

>>> For Apache httpd server to work:
>>>
>>> index.html.{locale}  should be fine for static, but if you want to
>>> request this uri: localhost:8888/index.html.{locale} This will fail
>>> badly mainly because forrest relay on .html as the final extension.
>>
>> Noooooooo. The way I've got it planned is to feed the locale from the
>> CLI into the Cocoon 'environment' in _exactly_ the same way as the
>> HTTP environment does. So, to see a particular page, via your
>> browser, you go to localhost:8888/index.html, having specified your
>> preferred locale in your browser.
>
> If you  pass the locale, you are able get this done at least for
> {lang}.   I think that we need a I18nFile generator that allows to do
> the "downgrading scheme"

Why? As far as I can see, if the browser can pass a string of expected
locales, e.g. pl, de, en, then those should be passed into Cocoon as the
Locale, which Cocoon's I18N stuff should just handle - serving the most
appropriate page it can. In the case of the CLI, it will pass one locale
in at a time. Filename handling will be the CLI's concern, not Cocoon's.

> But there is something that I am not 100% sure that we are doing it
> right. check www.debian.org. an on the botton You will see that there
> is a way for users to overwrite their locale settings.
>
> There is a buch of these links:
>
> <a rel="alternate" lang="es" hreflang="es" title="Spanish"
> href="index.es.html">espaƱol</a>

Interesting. I would (If I wasn't on a tube train right now) check out
the syntax for the HTML <a>, to see what lang/hreflang attributes do.

> So I guess that we need to find a way to overwrite locale settings on
> filename.

That depends upon how a browser handles those attributes.

>>> 3) Use CLI to run as many times as locales defined on a config file.
>>
>> That is what we'll have the CLI do for us.
>>
>> Basically, as far as a Forrest site is concerned, it _should not_
>> need to know if it is going to be deployed static or dynamic. It
>> should work exactly the same in either environment. When you can to
>> create a static site, you configure the CLI to produce the site in a
>> way that is suitable for your particular web server (mainly httpd).
>>
>> Make sense?
>

> It does

Great.

Upayavira