forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:40:22 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

Sjur: I do plan to reply to your previous post - honest!

> Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
> <snip how I8n works/>
>
> I think that most of this has been already implemented on httpd, so I
> do not think that we should be doing it again.

Forrest might not want to, but if there's I18N functionality where
Cocoon is deficient, that is not good. I want to understand how Cocoon
is supposed to be deficient, and if necessary, fix it.

> Before This I think that mostly we need to define the goal. What is
> the output file name  that you want for static and there URI request
> for dynamic sites?.

Surely I've covered that in my CLI extensions proposal?

> For Apache httpd server to work:
>
> index.html.{locale}  should be fine for static, but if you want to
> request this uri: localhost:8888/index.html.{locale} This will fail
> badly mainly because forrest relay on .html as the final extension.

Noooooooo. The way I've got it planned is to feed the locale from the
CLI into the Cocoon 'environment' in _exactly_ the same way as the HTTP
environment does. So, to see a particular page, via your browser, you go
to localhost:8888/index.html, having specified your preferred locale in
your browser.

> So you could:
>
> 1) Use index.{locale}.html on dynamic sites and create .var filenames
> with the list of files per directory.

Shouldn't be needed.

> 2) Forget Dynamic and only use static

No. We shouldn't do that.

> 3) Use CLI to run as many times as locales defined on a config file.

That is what we'll have the CLI do for us.

Basically, as far as a Forrest site is concerned, it _should not_ need
to know if it is going to be deployed static or dynamic. It should work
exactly the same in either environment. When you can to create a static
site, you configure the CLI to produce the site in a way that is
suitable for your particular web server (mainly httpd).

Make sense?

Upayavira