forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Jose Pablos <>
Subject Re: i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:31:45 GMT
Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
<snip how I8n works/>

I think that most of this has been already implemented on httpd, so I do
not think that we should be doing it again.

Before This I think that mostly we need to define the goal. What is the
output file name  that you want for static and there URI request for
dynamic sites?.

For Apache httpd server to work:

index.html.{locale}  should be fine for static, but if you want to
request this uri: localhost:8888/index.html.{locale} This will fail
badly mainly because forrest relay on .html as the final extension.

So you could:

1) Use index.{locale}.html on dynamic sites and create .var filenames
with the list of files per directory.

2) Forget Dynamic and only use static

3) Use CLI to run as many times as locales defined on a config file.

> One more example - the site I'm working on:
<snip Example/>

I think that this user case seems very common. ( I hope that you would
not expect us to do you homework :-) )
But at the moment we are more focus on the "limits of static content
creation". :-)

> One question that comes to mind, is: what happens when a page is _not_
> available in the requested locale? Presently Cocoon/Forrest fails.

This is a bug, and on another mail I told you, that this funcionality
was missing.

> given only one locale, it can be argued that this is correct behaviour
> for a server, although a better aproach would be to have a default
> fallback language/file (which you would need to have anyway - if not,
> what would you serve a user without a locale specification at all, or
> with only locales that are foreign to your site?).

There is an error code for this 406, but I am afraid that the best
approach is to show the user any content rather than an error page.

  The fallback file
> could either be the regular content in the language decided upon by the
> webmaster, or a simple page telling the user that the page/site is only
> available in some specified languages, perhaps with a link to a page
> explaining how to set the languages/locales for a browser.

I would not do that, I would display the content

View raw message